Just like reinforcement, enrichment is something that our dogs have to chose. Not all dogs find the same things enriching. But how can we know what our dogs find most enriching?
First lets figure out what the difference is between reinforcement and enrichment. Reinforcement is going to be our topic for next week so we will dive into that more later. As dog owners, we use reinforcement to reward our dogs for the behaviors we like. Enrichment is not meant to be a reward but more of a way to meet our dog's natural instinct needs from day to day. Behavior Consultants from around the world have pretty much agreed that enrichment activities should into these criteria.
- be an activity that has interaction between the participants.
- effect the response a dog has to a particular action.
- lead to evidence based, behavior changes.
- be changing constantly.
- differ from dog to dog based on their needs.
- reliant on the evolution of learning experiences of the dog and human.