Tips for Taking Your Dog to Community Events
- Have they been to this event previously or events in this location?
- How many people would be expected at the event?
- Does your dog have the skills to safely navigate the event with you?
- Can you leave the event or take your dog out to a safe space if they show signs of discomfort?
- Allow your dog to sniff the environment and become comfortable before approaching the festivities.
- Choose a safe space at a distance your dog can be comfortable to watch the activities, even if that means you remain on the outskirts of the event.
- Allow yourself to enjoy the activities but don't become so distracted that you won't notice your dog struggling to follow your lead or listen to your cues.
- Leave early enough that neither you or your dog become overwhelmed or uncomfortable.